Creating a useful space is essential for all makers. For years I had been creating in the corner of my parent’s garage amongst; building supplies, paint pots, spiders, dust and water leaks throughout winter. Creating a useful space, to grow as a designer, meant a move to the stable block at the top of the garden.
Moving house and starting the final year of university meant that my workshop was chucked together. Painting the walls white was my attempt to add more light. Hoovering the array of spiders and webs hiding in the rafters made the space more comfortable to work in. I had the basics, a sink, workbench, a tiny bit of storage and my tools. The change was positive, although unfinished, I had my own space to create freely in.
With the winter months and deadlines of final year drawing in, the workshop took a back seat. I was creating more at uni, enjoying the warmth of their workshops, although more spacious, this is something mine lacked. Reality hit me when I graduated in June, I no longer had the comfort blanket of Uni’s workshops. I was finally on my own after 4 years of facilities and support.
So what did I do? I set about creating a useful space that was a little bit more useful. I needed a space that was more inspiring, more comfortable, more practical and less like a stable block.
A MUCH NEEDED UPGRADE.
With an idea in mind, Mum and I took a trip to Ikea. Buying 3 Laiva bookcases, a clock, 2 plants and a selection of storage boxes, I was motivated. I assembled the bookcases, adding the back sections to the top 2 shelves, this created a wall that split the stable block in half. Constructing it in this way, gave me 9 shelves facing the workshop and 6 shelves behind.
Having no ceiling in the stables meant that spiders webs were in sight, and various dust and dirt was continuously falling onto my work surfaces. With limited funds, and knowing the space was only mine for another 2 years, I set about creating a make-shift temporary ceiling. Using cardboard delivery boxes I had collected from my part-time job, I taped and stapled the new ceiling to the rafters.
With that done I moved everything in, adding the personal touches such as a rug to add a little more warmth under foot, a clock and plants. After all, plants did inspire my Tevi and Deveri Pots! The workshop is now more inspiring and cosy than before, a space where I can do what makes me truly happy… make!
Thanks for reading,